Switching Fedora to pae kernel by default?

Eric Paris eparis at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 17:53:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 19:31 +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Kyle McMartin wrote:

> > Unless we keep the non-PAE i586 kernel around as a fallback, we're not
> > going to be able to boot on a whole raft of crappy i386 chips (original
> > Pentium M most notably...)
>
> I'm not suggesting dropping non-PAE.  Simply defaulting to PAE where
> possible.
>
> Are Pentium Ms (really the memory that comes with them) actually capable
> of running recent Fedoras?  I'm talking desktop, not
> I'm-using-my-laptop-as-a-firewall-just-because-I-can.

I've got a P3 (Coppermine) with 256M memory running F10.  My significant
other took it with her to Antarctica (Well F9 has been to Antarctica but
it'll be F10 in Antarctica next month).  You can only run one app at a
time and have to be patient, but it's perfectly usable (and noone cares
if this laptop is lost, stolen or destroyed [aside from her being pissed
she lost all her research data]).  I wouldn't/couldn't to use it as a
daily machine, so while I'm in favor of -PAE default, F10 is "usable" on
such small machines.  I don't care if old machines need some bit
twiddling to get to work, but we aren't dead yet   :)

-Eric