Switching Fedora to pae kernel by default?

Neil Horman nhorman at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 18:36:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 07:31:12PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Kyle McMartin wrote:

>> Unless we keep the non-PAE i586 kernel around as a fallback, we're not
>> going to be able to boot on a whole raft of crappy i386 chips (original
>> Pentium M most notably...)
>
> I'm not suggesting dropping non-PAE.  Simply defaulting to PAE where
> possible.
>
> Are Pentium Ms (really the memory that comes with them) actually capable
> of running recent Fedoras?  I'm talking desktop, not
> I'm-using-my-laptop-as-a-firewall-just-because-I-can.

Absolutely, I've got a Thinkpad T42 here that does just fine on fedora 10.
Unless of course, I try to load a PAE enabled kernel on it.

I've not looked into it at all, but this thread got me thinking, is there any
particular reason that we can't merge the pae and non-pae kernels using the same
alternatives approach we used to merge smp & up?

Neil

 *Neil Horman <nhorman at redhat.com>
 *919-754-4323