Switching Fedora to pae kernel by default?

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 18:37:57 UTC 2009

2009/1/21 Avi Kivity <avi at redhat.com>:
> Christopher Brown wrote:
>>
>> May I point out that those that care enough to want PAE usually know
>> how to go about getting it enabled whereas those that have install
>> failure because they're running non-PAE hardware probably wont know
>> how to go about getting it disabled.
>>

> You mean, ordinary users don't care about security?  Because that's one of
> the advantages that PAE brings.

No, I meant ordinary users don't care about anything over 2GB.

> You're right, they don't care, we have to care for them.

They do care about security but want it to be easy. Or simply don't
want to have to care.

>> The fall-out from this going onto the livecd makes me shudder.
>>

> You're pushing out a development problem to the users.

Um, no. I'm simply against cutting out a tranche of people because of
the needs of the few. We have x86_64 Live anyway.

>> The original argument that many machines have 4GB of memory is simply
>> false.
>
> My ~3yo home box has 4GB.  I'm not an ordinary user (or it would be a
> computer, not a "box"), but I don't think you can claim 4GB is rare.

Rare for this use case, yes.

>> Manufacturers aren't shipping anything more than 2GB on
>> desktops at most unless you have oodles of money to throw at a
>> Alienware box or something. Sure, servers come with more but Fedora is
>> not really a reality for a long term server O.S
>
> Servers should use x86_64 anyway.  But I strongly disagree about penalizing
> the future to cater for the past.

I'm not sure you're penalizing the past, I think this is penalizing the present.

--
Christopher Brown