Building kernel-2.6.31-0.190 rawhide in F11

Markus Kesaromous remotestar at live.com
Sat Sep 5 03:04:35 UTC 2009

> From: pebolle at tiscali.nl
> To: remotestar at live.com
> Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 10:38:44 +0200
> CC: fedora-kernel-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: Building kernel-2.6.31-0.190 rawhide in F11
>
> On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 22:08 -0700, Markus Kesaromous wrote:
>> Build, instal and boot went fine, except radeon driver does not work.
>> Radeon works just fine in 2.6.29.6-217.2.16.fc11.i586, but not
>> in 2.6.31-0.190...
>
> That could be some sort of mismatch between that Rawhide kernel and the
> F11 X Server you seem to use (Rawhide currently uses X.Org X Server
> 1.6.99.1). I'd try one of the following kernel command line options:
>
> nomodeset
> radeon.modeset=0
>
> Those could be used to work around some issues with Rawhide's Radeon
> kernel driver (or Rawhide's Radeon X module, or whatever) a few weeks
> back. (It' s just a guess though. I hardly know anything about the way
> the kernel and the X Server interact.)
>

> Paul Bolle

Thank you Paul.

nomodeset was accepted as a boot arg. radeon.modeset=0 was not recognized as a valid boot arg.

However, nomodeset did the trick. I now have X up under the auspices
of kernel-2.6.31-rc8.fc11.i586

Other observations:
after I edited the boot args and added the nomodeset radeo.moseset=0
and pressed b to boot, it took almost 3 minutes to get the login prompt.
Even after logging in, it took more than 1 minute to populate the screen with all my icons: about 55 of them.

Also, starting up Firefox and thunderbird also took considerably longer.
Sorry for not providing an objective time value in terms of how much
slower they started - should have timed them !

To provide some comparison with other kernels:
2.6.29.6-217.2.16.fc11.i586 boots to the login prompt in 1.5 minutes.
2.6.29.5.191.fc11.586 booted to login prompt in 38 seconds.
On same dual boot machine, Windows XP boots to login prompt in
30 seconds.

Cheers,

MK