Asus a6km laptop & gnome mount issue

Nil Gradisnik ghaefbgtk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 13:15:53 UTC 2006

I'm having problems with my ASUS A6KM laptop. I'm running FedoraCore6
updated and the removable devices are not working... are not mounting
most of the time.

The situation is like this, if I insert a CD or DVD in the drive, it
doesn't show up on the Desktop or in Computer, gnome-mount is not
working. I think it does this when I'm using the computer for some
time... if I reboot the computer and leave the CD or DVD in the drive,
it mounts it ok, and it even works a few times if I remove it and put
it back in. And then again after some time it's not mounting anymore.
The same thing happens with USB stick. Sometimes it shows up on the
desktop, most of the time it doesn't.

I believe this is not that GNOME related issue, probably a kernel or
something. But I'd like to debug this... how ? I want to know how to
fix this.

It seems to me that maybe gnome-mount is not functioning correctly, or
there is a problem with a driver, kernel module. Maybe two drivers are
trying to mount the removable device and there is a conflict... I
don't know, help.

Happy holidays everyone !