Fn-key support?

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Nov 22 15:33:58 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 November 2006 23:31, bloch at verdurin.com wrote:

> There has been support for this when I've been running other
> distributions, so I know it can be done.  I'm happy to try and do some
> of the work myself but am not quite sure where to start.

I have a thinkpad, for which there is a special application (tpb - thinkpad
buttons), that somehow manages to get the information. Maybe there is
something like this for sony notebooks, too. Some other keys provide acpi
events (tail -f /var/log/acpid shows them), which can run scripts
in /etc/acpi/events. Also you can look with xev whether or not the buttons
provide xevents, then you can map them with xmodmap e.g. to F13 or something
and use them this way.

There is a lot of documentation for thinkpads on
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki, maybe you can use something of it, too.

And "yum search sony" spits out:
spicctrl.i386                            1.9-5.fc6              extras
Matched from:
Sony Vaio laptop SPIC control program
spicctrl queries and sets a variety of parameters on Sony Vaio laptop
computers, including AC Power status, battery status, screen brightness,
and bluetooth device power status
http://popies.net/sonypi/

On http://popies.net/sonypi/ you also find some information about using
special keys.