Speedstep doesn't work on Centrino notebooks for Fedora Core 6

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Oct 26 17:38:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 04:30:59PM -1000, Julian Yap wrote:

 > # /etc/init.d/cpuspeed start
 > FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
 > /kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No such device

Not a good sign. This typically means the BIOS tables that list
the est states are missing, or that the chip lacks est completely.
Can you attach the output of /proc/cpuinfo and dmesg ?

The verbose error message should be silent in my work-in-progress
update kernel.

 > I've noticed that Fedora doesn't include the speedstep-centrino.ko module.
 > Normally it would be located in:
 > /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/
 >
 > Would this be the issue?

It's built-in.  We have a bunch of built-ins that get their init
routines called one by one, until one 'sticks'.  If we get all the
way to userspace and we still haven't got a working cpufreq driver,
we try acpi-cpufreq as a last resort.

 > There's a few bugs in Bugzilla if you search for acpi_cpufreq in Summary.
 >
 > This bug prevents the CPU from stepping down the lower speed (thus running
 > all the time at the full speed).

When was the last time this worked for you?

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk