Speedstep doesn't work on Centrino notebooks for Fedora Core 6

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 27 06:25:28 UTC 2006

On 10/26/06, BERES Laszlo <beres.laszlo at sys-admin.hu> wrote:
> Dave Jones wrote:
>
>  > When was the last time this worked for you?
>
> I have the same issue on a Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook E4010 with Pentium-M
> 1.4 processor. Cpuspeed worked perfectly since the first FC5 kernel and
> now with 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5 too.
>
> FC6 broke this success :(

The issue as I see it is that the installer installs the i586 kernel
instead of the i686 kernel.  Here's how I fixed it.

1. Download the RPM for the i686 version of the kernel:
wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/6/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.i686.rpm

2. As root, install the kernel.  You'll need to force it because the
pre-existing kernel conflicts:
rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.i686.rpm --force

Hope this helps.  If it does, could you file a bug for me? :)

~ Julian