headphone/speaker confusion after suspend

peter abplanalp pta-fedora at psaconsultants.com
Fri Apr 20 17:04:40 UTC 2007

hi.  i have an hp dv6267cl running fc 6 in large part flawlessly; however, i am having one problem with sound and suspend to ram.  when i first boot the laptop, everything works fine.  i can switch from headphones to speakers and back but when the laptop comes back from being suspended, only the speakers work.  i try to mute the speakers but the headphones still won't work.  if i unplug and plug the headphones back in, it also doesn't help.  the only way to get things fixed is to reboot.

i've searched around the web and it looks like other people have had/are having this problem but the only helpfull thing i've found is for ubuntu where doing a /etc/init.d/alsa restart seems to help fix the problem.

so i have 2 questions:

1) is there any way to fix this problem?

2) if the answer to 1 is no, is there a way i can do something similar to /etc/init.d/alsa restart on ubuntu?  i don't having anything like that in my /etc/init.d.  can i rmmod and then modprobe some modules to get the same affect?  if so, which ones?

thanks in advance.

-peter

system info:

kernel: 2.6.20-1.2944.fc6

alsa rpms:

alsa-lib-1.0.14-0.1.rc1.fc6
alsa-utils-1.0.14-0.1.rc1.fc6

sound card:

vendor: Intel Corporation
model: 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
module: snd-hda-intel
pcm device: hda generic

sound preferences:

sound playback: alsa
music/movies: alsa
conferencing: alsa
esd is enabled

i can provide additional information if necessary, just let me know.