Acer 5573 Laptop with F7

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 19:05:52 UTC 2007

Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have recently purchased a Acer Laptop Aspire 5573 in India, Chennai without
> the OS.
> I have a Card Reader, Integrated Webcam and a Atheros Wifi Card in this laptop.
>
> I have currently installed Fedora 7 from  Live CD. None of the above hardware
> seems to be working. I installed Madwifi as I came to know from Googling that
> the same supports all Atheros based Wifi Cards.
>
> The Atheros Chips is AR5006EG. Today, I have downloaded the FC7 DVD ISO Image
> will be burning the same tonite and reinstalling the same.

Unfortunately this shouldn't make any difference.  Note that
the install DVD will have NetworkManager turned off by default.
You can turn it on in system|administration|server settings|services
(I think; that's where it's located in FC6, but it's the services
control you want.)

> Request your setp by step directions in configuring the Atheros Card.
> I am a newbie to Linux, but have been a fan of Fedora for sometime know.
>
> I just hope that I am not forced to by Windows Vistas just to make my Hardwares
> work, importantly the Wifi card, as I do not have any other option of connectivity.

Installing madwifi from Livna, suspect you've already tried this,
but raises the question whether you're running a 64 bit or 32 bit
kernel?
<http://paulsiu.wordpress.com/2007/06/>

The following suggests your chipset is supported if you
build the modules from CVS.  Step by step guide:
<http://www.dot11.info/madwifi>

Sorry, I've no experience with madwifi, that's about all I can do.
Someone who knows the card or madwifi might be able to help you more.
Output from the dmesg command once the module is loaded might be
of some use (to check it's loading properly and finding the
controller).

--
imalone