f9 on the Asus EEE PC (resume and additional keys)

Sven Lankes sl at killefiz.de
Tue Apr 22 10:36:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:19:24PM +0200, Sven Lankes wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer. That was it.
> I have solved it by adding an
>   echo 3 > /proc/acpi/asus/brn
> to /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video

Replying to myself.

I'm slowly starting to understand how acpi under linux actually works
especially with the eee-pc.

The F9-Kernel contains a module called eeepc which - when loaded -
generates acpi-events for the Fn + Fx-keys. While those events work fine
the stock module doesn't contain the rest of the asus-laptop module
functionality - most important it doesn't offer /proc/acpi/asus so it's
not possible to automagically reset the backlight on resume.

Just loading the f9 asus-laptop module fails (No such device).

Writing directly to /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness doesn't seem to
be supported either on eee (writing to it fails with "Invalid argument"
and reading yields "not supported").

So currently using the stock f9 modules is not sufficient to use all
possible functionality (unless someone else has an idea on how to set
the backlight level). I'm back to using the eeepc-acpi module taken from
debian which gives me acpi events for keypresses and /proc/acpi/asus
support.

sven === jabber/xmpp: sven at lankes.net