Fedora 8 installing onto Dell Latitude 610

Dave Russell drussell at redhat.com
Wed Feb 13 23:56:45 UTC 2008

Vince O'Neill wrote:
> I am a compete novice on linux, but want to check this as a viable
> alternative, as I work in a school, and we pay thousands to Microsoft!
>
> I have used a live CD to check Fedora out on a laptop, but cannot get
> sound to work.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction to correct this?

While I haven't tried the F8 live CD, this message is coming to you from
a Dell D610 that regularly runs F7, F8 and more recently F9-Alpha with
no problems at all.

The sound should work for you out of the box, I'd try the soundcard
detection as someone else has mentioned, or possibly check to ensure
that the sound output isn't somehow muted by default.

--

Cheers,
         Dave Russell

Mobile: +44 (0) 7725 433024
GPG:    488B 78CD 7E33 12BA D7FC  4B60 322B 449F 475D 6BB1