Dell Vostro 1500n with Centos/RHEL-5.1

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sun Jan 6 22:08:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:52:18PM +0100, Gerold Kassube wrote:

> First, I have no experience with that laptop BUT if ONE linux runs on
> it, most of the also do so, too.
> If there is a Gentoo and/or Kubuntu works (with all kind of embemmed
> Hardware?!) then I'm pretty sure that a RHEL 5.1 (which is based on
> Fedora Core 6 afaik) will also run ...

I wouldn't dare to draw that kind of conclusions.

Missing up-to-date video- or sound drivers, or even SATA issues with
Intel's Santa Rosa chipset, might cause you many headaches and these
"details" differ between Linux distros and also between RHEL 5.x and FC6.

I don't know about Dell Vostro's, but I've learned (especially with
laptops) that you really have to test the distro you want to run on
that specific system (or know that someone else did that).

Having said that, some laptop vendors change their chips during the
life cycle or have numerous variants, so you should be aware of this
too.

Better ask it on the RHEL5-list, there are also Dell people on that
list AFAIK, so you might get a more concrete answer there.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>