Dual monitor on T61

David M. Lee leedm777 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 18:26:05 UTC 2008

I've had a devil of a time trying to get dual monitor support to work  for my T61.  I'm running Fedora 8, x86_64.  It has the Intel GM965/GL960  graphics controller.

I have two monitors connected.  Both are Dell 2007FP's, that can run  1600x1200.  Of course, one is connected via DVI, and other via VGA.  I  know the controller is capable of driving both monitors at the same time,  because Windows can do it.

System-config-display cannot get it right.  I have yet to fathom the  mysteries of X configuration, and nothing I've tried thus far has worked.   The best I've been able to do is to actually use the Ubuntu config  file, which at least displays on the digital monitor.  Tweaking the  config (changing PCI address, changing driver to vesa) switches the output  from DVI to VGA, but I cannot get both displayed at the same time.  I'd  love to have an extended desktop.

lspci -v and my current xorg.conf are below.  Any help is greatly  appreciated!

Thanks!

dave

<><

[dlee at hsv-dlee ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Files"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"

        Driver          "kbd"

        Option          "CoreKeyboard"

        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"

        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"

        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"

        Driver          "mouse"

        Option          "CorePointer"

        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"

        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"

        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"

        Driver          "synaptics"

        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"

        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"

        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"

        Option          "HorizEdgeScroll"       "0"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

        Driver          "wacom"

        Identifier      "stylus"

        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"

        Option          "Type"          "stylus"

        Option          "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"         # Tablet PC  ONLY

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

        Driver          "wacom"

        Identifier      "eraser"

        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"

        Option          "Type"          "eraser"

        Option          "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"         # Tablet PC  ONLY

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

        Driver          "wacom"

        Identifier      "cursor"

        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"

        Option          "Type"          "cursor"

        Option          "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"         # Tablet PC  ONLY

EndSection

Section "Device"

        Identifier      "Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960  Integrated Graphics Controller"

        Driver          "intel"

        BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

        Identifier      "DELL 2007FP"

        Option          "DPMS"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

        Identifier      "Default Screen"

        Device          "Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960  Integrated Graphics Controller"

        Monitor         "DELL 2007FP"

        DefaultDepth    24

        SubSection "Display"

                Modes           "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1152x864"  "1024x768" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"

        EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

        Identifier      "Default Layout"

        Screen          "Default Screen"

        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"

        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"

# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet

#       InputDevice     "stylus"        "SendCoreEvents"

#       InputDevice     "cursor"        "SendCoreEvents"

#       InputDevice     "eraser"        "SendCoreEvents"

        InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"

EndSection

[dlee at hsv-dlee ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)

#

# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool,  using

# values from the debconf database.

#

# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.

# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)

#

# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades  *only*

# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the  xserver-xorg

# package.

#

# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically  updated

# again, run the following command:

#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Be a better friend, newshound, and

know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.   http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ