FC8 and Toshiba satellite running from batteries wont boot

Erick Perez eaperezh at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 17:21:29 UTC 2008

Hi,
Last night i loaded the latest FC8 on my toshiba satellite l35-sp4068.
it boots fine except for some modules (wifi, toshiba_acpi, etc) but
those problems might be resolved over time.
However what puzzles me is that it runs perfectly when plugged to the AC.
However,
If fc8 is booted and i unplug the AC, it takes over two minutes for
fc8 to "see" that we are now running on batteries.
if i shutdown fc8 then unplug the AC then boot fc8 again, it panics.
kernel starts booting and then panics. it miay be something related to
fc8 not realizing we are running on baterries beacuse if i plug the
laptop again to the AC and boot fc8, it boots perfectly.

some modules do not load.
modprobe toshiba, modprobe toshiba-acpi fail with "device not found".

has anyone experienced fc8 in a laptop where you can boot perfectly
plugged to the ACbut not when running on batteries?
any parameters that can be passed to the kernel at boot?

I have even tried "single" mode at boot, no help.

thanks,

Erick Perez
Panama Sistemas
Integradores de Telefonia IP y Soluciones Para Centros de Datos
Panama, Republica de Panama
Cel Panama. +(507) 6694-4780