backup and synchronization program?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 21:37:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:05 PM, D. H. Holsboer <dh holsboer xs4all nl> wrote:
 >    I am looking for a program that can backup and/or synchronize data on my
 > laptop (FC 8), on another FC 8 and on a WIN XP on my LAN. I have for WIN - WIN
 > synchronization and/or backup the program SyncBack, but don want to have to
 > switch to Win XP all the time I want to make a backup or synchronize the
 > systems.
 >    Does anybody know which Linux program performs these actions by simply
 > copying files from one system to the system on which they are not present and
 > overwriting old files with the newer versions? This is the way I use to my
 > satisfaction the program SyncBack.exe. Of course, the Win XP machine is
 > accessible via smb.

You might want to look at either BackupPC or Unison.  Unison is basically a
two-way rsync that you run when you choose (or script via cron), so it can keep
the newest file whether you change it on the PC or portable; normally with rsync
you cannot do that.  I've never used BackupPC but it is supposed to be a
full-blown backup solution.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29