Problem with .gvfs or .gvfs* in Fedora 11

Steven F. LeBrun steven at lebruns.com
Mon Aug 3 05:52:36 UTC 2009

On 08/03/2009 12:56 AM, Steven F. LeBrun wrote:
> First, Emacs froze when I tried to list my home directory, then "ls
> -a" froze from command line.  Through trial and error, it appears that
> there is a file, directory, or special file in my home directory that
> begins with ".gvfs".  Any attempts to list the contents of the
> directory that should include .gvfs* fails and locks up the program
> that issued the command; emacs, ls -a in bash shell, etc.  The close
> icon in the upper right hand corner of the frame will cause a
> pop-dialog to appear that allows the program to be "force quit".
>
> Any ideas on how to resolve this problem?  Can I safely do a "rm -rf
> .gvfs*" or will that delete files that my system needs?
>
> The command "ls -ad .gvfs*" also locks up which leads me to suspect
> that .gvfs is a special file, such as a device, instead of a directory.
>
> --
>     Steven F. LeBrun
>
> Quote: /"One day a peacock. The next day a feather duster."/
>     ---  Democrat Patrick Quinn, Illinois lieutenant governor

Sorry, I meant this posting for the Fedora List, not the Fedora Laptop List.

--
   Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: /"The objection to fairy stories is that they tell children there
are dragons. But children have always known there are dragons. Fairy
stories tell children that dragons can be killed."/
      -- G.K. Chesterton