Want to Help Fedora Suck Less

Lalit Dhiri my_linux at live.com
Sat Mar 14 07:26:47 UTC 2009

> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:14:10 -0500
> From: chris.schumann at gmail.com
> To: fedora-laptop-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Want to Help Fedora Suck Less
>
> Hello all,
>

> Is this the right place to help with the overall system, even though
> the issues I'm having are related to specific hardware? I'm having
> issues with video drivers (open source and proprietary), audio drivers
> (on a ThinkPad 600X, alsa bug 305, FWIW); but also the default battery
> and configuration settings are not very good, causing shortened
> battery run-time and battery life, especially for the secondary
> battery.

If you are having problems with drivers etc always search Bugzilla to determine
if the issue has been reported as there may be a work around or if nothine is
listed always try to report so things can be looked in to.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/

Have you considered using laptop mode tools which can help with hard disk
clicking and power saving?
http://samwel.tk/laptop_mode/

The following websites may also help:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

> What's the best way to help make sure Fedora becomes even more awesome
> on these machines?

Consider becoming a Bugzapper so you are testing Alpha, Beta... Preview etc.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers

> I am a software developer by trade, and I have written very low-level
> assembly and C code, just not for Linux. I'm happy to learn but don't
> have a ton of free time. I'd like to find one or more mentors who will
> instruct me on the best ways to nudge developers and maintainers of
> existing projects, but getting the latest software, building, testing
> and reporting.
>
> How do I start?

See Bugzappers ref above ;=)

> Thanks,