Novell/progeny to take up redhat legacy services

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 4 13:57:05 UTC 2003

Pekka Savola  said:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Vincent wrote:
>> If your company
>> cannot afford $120 a year for updates then distribute those from
>> scripting
>> or an in-house up2date server, id say that business has bigger problems
>> than updates.
>
> If you have e.g. 50 servers and 50 workstations, the bill jumps up to
> 12000$/yr.  Not an inconsiderable amount.  It'd be stupid to assume
> Progeny would not require some kind of agreement that disallows
> registering just one computer, and distributing the updates in-house.

I'm not sure who pulled $120/year from where, but last time I checked
$5/month was $60 a year.

That being said Progeny (where did Novell come in?) says they are only
planning this to be a "transition" service:

Q: How long will Progeny offer this solution?
A: Current rates are guaranteed for one year, and may continue into 2005.

If that is long enough for the users that would be using Fedora Legacy is
another question completely.  Keeping Fedora Legacy for 7.3 going would
allow you to better control how long you want to keep those servers on
7.3.

--
William Hooper