Novell/progeny to take up redhat legacy services

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Dec 4 19:35:19 UTC 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 01:04 am, Warren Togami wrote:
> But then the license on the individual packages may prevent that.  For
> example if they are GPL or LGPL, you cannot put any restrictions on
> re-distribution.

While the individual package license may prevent restrictions on its own
redistribution, GPL for one nowhere prevents a subscription service from have
a contract that allows for termination of the subscription service if the
terms of service are breached.  It has nothing to do with the software's
distribution license.  The sources may very well be publicly posted to be in
compliance with the package license; but the subscription is for a QA'd
package building and distribution mechanism; break the contract there, and
you lose the rights to use the service, but you do not lose the rights to the
packages you have (or that you wish to download in SRPM form and rebuild
yourself).  Just to the convenient prebuilt, secure, trusted binary package
delivery service. But I am definitely not a lawyer.

In programmer-speak, RHN-subscription!=the packages delivered by RHN (to use
the obvious example).
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology