Novell/progeny to take up redhat legacy services

ChuckW chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Fri Dec 5 20:25:18 UTC 2003

Upon re-reading, I realized my previous post contained an inaccurate
statement. Please allow me to correct myself:

>> No, they have not.  In fact, they have stated the opposite.  Not all of
>> it is GPL'd.  And some of it is subject to copyright and trademark law.
>
> Perhaps you have been living in a hole? They have said this time and time
> again. What you are probably confusing is that they have also publically
> stated that they have no qualms about *INCLUDING* closed source software
> in their distribution. They themselves respect the force of the OSS
> community and will make all of their *OWN* code GPL'd. Please also note
> that this has nothing to do with their logos and trademarks.

I shouldn't have said RedHat will GPL all of their code. I have no
documentation to this effect. I believe Eric was correct when he
originally stated that RedHat has always pledged to make the source code
available, but that RedHat has never made an exclusive commitment to any
given license when it comes to code developed in-house.

Sorry for that.

-Chuck