Novell/progeny to take up redhat legacy services

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 5 21:19:24 UTC 2003

Erik A. Espinoza  said:
>> The GPL does not override service licence agreements either. Meaning,
>> that
>> while you could copy the software freely, you are not permitted to
>> install
>> and run the product on more than the purchased number of licenced
>> machines. Doing so would be in violation of your SLA.
>
> Wouldn't the SLA be in violation of my rights to the code?

Sigh, must we go through this again?

You can do anything you want to and with the code that complies with the
GPL.  Stop.

Red Hat has the right to deny you service if you don't follow the service
agreement.  Stop.

So, as a summary:

You can copy the code you get from RHN to any machine you want.  This,
though, will invalidate your service agreement so RH can prevent you from
getting NEW code *via* RHN.  This will also invalidate any SLA you have
with RH.

--
William Hooper