Kernel Testing

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Mon Dec 8 21:27:19 UTC 2003

Jesse and I were talking a while back about how "this" is all going to
come together. We're pretty sure the RHEL 2.1 updates are a clean move to
7.3 systems and RHEL 3.0 updates are a clean move to 9. Of course this is
all "educated" speculation, and all packages will have to be validated to
be sure. The only wildcard in our minds at the time was the kernel. It was
clear that we'd need some sort of test suite and some design goals. As far
as a test suite goes, I ran across the below post from the LKML. I'd been
aware of the kernel test suite for a while, but hadn't actually taken the
time to deploy it. What I'm wondering is, has anyone on this list spent
the time necessary to deploy this in any scale that would be necessary for
Fedora Legacy?

-------
The Linux Test Project test suite <http://www.linuxtestproject.org> has
been released. The latest version of the testsuite contains 2000+ tests
for the Linux OS. Our web site also contains other information such as:
test results, a Linux test tools matrix, an area for keeping up with fixes
for known blocking problems in the 2.5/2.6 kernel releases, technical
papers and HowTos on Linux testing, and a code coverage analysis tool.

    Highlights:

      + Updated the LTP test driver to handle all real-time signals.
      + Updated the command tests to ensure better portability.
      + Added new NFS test, nfs_fsstress, to stress NFS using the fsstress
        test.
      + Added new tests for low-level SCSI, virtual SCSI, Asynch IO, & ACL
        control and management
      + Applied more bug fixes, patches, and code cleanups.

We encourage the community to post results, patches or new tests on our
mailing list <ltp-list at lists.sf.net> and use the CVS bug tracking facility
to report problems that you might encounter with the test suite.
-------

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com

 "M stands for magic, mystery or matrix; according to taste."
				--Edward Witten