build

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Tue Dec 9 21:41:55 UTC 2003

> a nodeps thing?
>
> running rpm with rpm --nodeps is almost ALWAYS a bad idea.

*ALWAYS*??

1) A month ago I had an RPM database corruption that lost about 60% of the
package information. I haven't the faintest idea how it happened. None of
the usual (and some unusual stuff) would fix it. A quick check showed that
it was a database problem only, all the files were still there. I was able
to add the missing stuff back into the database by using --nodeps.

2) I prefer to install perl modules via the CPAN tool (even though I am
hosting RPMPAN). Some packages require certain perl modules as
dependencies. Installing those perl modules and then using --nodeps on the
final package was one way of installing.

I'm sure there are others.

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com

 "M stands for magic, mystery or matrix; according to taste."
				--Edward Witten