Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Dec 24 13:13:10 UTC 2003

This post summarizes the previous launch plan in simple terms:

What does this mean for users?
==============================
Use fedora.us repositories for "os" and "updates" with apt-get or yum
tools today, and you are already set to automatically pull Fedora Legacy
updates after distribution end-of-life.  Fedora Legacy updates will be
published in the "updates" tree along with existing distribution updates.

Yeah... the RH7.X trees at fedora.us are not yet launched.  I'm working
on that and they should be online before the New Year.  Watch this list
for more information as it happens.  I'm thinking to do only RH7.2 and
RH7.3 at first unless there is strong demand for RH7.1 or RH7.0.

What does this mean for testers?
================================
Soon the "updates-testing" channel will be created in each distribution
tree.  Candidate Fedora Legacy updates will be placed in this channel so
they can be easily downloaded, installed and tested.  After enough
positive feedback through publication policies that we need to discuss
(read below) they will move to the "updates" channel.

In order to raise the bar of credibility necessary for updates-testing
  feedback, I would suggest that GPG clearsigned messages be required
for such feedback.  This helps to cut down on half-hearted "works for
me" posts which are totally not useful.  Thoughts?

What does this mean for developers?
===================================
As mentioned in the previous Plan (draft 2) post, we are in serious need
of discussing the policy changes necessary from the current fedora.us
procedures for Fedora Legacy development.  It is your responsibility to
CAREFULLY READ the fedora.us documents, read through many fedora.us
Bugzilla reports, and suggest ways of changing it.

Given that so few people have even suggested methods of governace of
Fedora Legacy Project, I am suggesting now that this project be run in a
very similar way to the way fedora.us runs.  The main changes in policy
will be mainly different thresholds for QA, updates-testing feedback and
who is "trusted", and how one can gain "trust".  Feel free to comment
about & ask questions about other aspects of the procedure though.

As the previous post indicated, GPG is an ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT.  If you
do not already know how to use it properly, talk to the folks in
fedora-devel-list.

After EOL happens, it is up to YOUR PARTICIPATION and VIGILANCE to watch
the security advisories and kick-start the QA process ASAP at each
occurance.  I personally am here mainly to give the community this
framework of policy and infrastructure to work within.  I personally
will not be able to spend a lot of time on Legacy development, so the
long term viability of this project relies entirely on you.

Otherwise... I personally am fine buying Progeny's service for my own
servers.  $5/mo is a bargain for my time.  I would much prefer to eat my
own dog food though, as I am a strong believer in the collaborative
development model.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com