RPM upgrade discussion

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Dec 30 13:55:46 UTC 2003

> This is not really true anymore. There is work underway for allowing
> almost all of yum 2.0 to run on a rpm 4.0.4 and python 1.5.2
> system. It has not landed yet, and we should allow more time for it,
> but it is a non-issue anymore.

There are still a lot of issues to work out with those patches. I
wouldn't plan on them. Not to mention the fact that rhl 7.1 doesn't have
a python2 that is useable, planning on backporting that, too?

> apt-get is probably the best distribution mechanism available for
> legacy. It has proven solid for the legacy releases (if one attributes
> the triggered rpm database corruptions to rpm, apt/synaptic have taken
> quite some unneccessary blame for it).

I'm curious, how has yum 'failed' for legacy releases? I've been using
yum on > 800, 7.x machines for more than 2.5 years.

-sv