RPM upgrade discussion

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Dec 31 10:52:28 UTC 2003

Barry K. Nathan wrote:
> The new (4.2.1) behavior is more predictable, but it breaks backward
> compatibility with old packages that have broken requirements
> specifications (i.e., missing specific epochs when they're needed). If
> we want to move Red Hat 8.0 and 9 over to the new behavior, we could
> make new mozilla, etc. packages that work properly with RPM 4.2.1,
> however.

This btw is why I am sad that Matthias, to this day, refuses to add
explicit epochs to versioned dependencies in the freshrpms packages.  It
is so apparent that this can lead to real problems later, so much so
that even Red Hat began doing this recently for their own packages.
This particular policy has been strictly enforced by fedora.us for a
long time now, but unfortunately has been one of the emotional points of
contention that caused certain key contributors to not join fedora.us.

(Just to be clear, this is not a personal attack on Matthias.  His great
work at freshrpms.net is what inspired me to create Fedora in the first
place.)

Warren