[Fedora-legacy-list] DRAFT for Press Release (again)

Carlos Villegas villegas at math.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 5 23:36:17 UTC 2003

Hi,

I hope you don't mind the double posting, but I forgot to change the
subject on the first email, and some people might not read it...

Carlos

----- Forwarded message from Carlos Villegas <villegas at math.gatech.edu> -----
On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 02:05:14PM -0500, Carlos Villegas wrote:
> Is anyone already drafting this press release? There has been no
> but it would be very primitive, since I've only been on the mailing list
> for a couple of weeks, mainly as an "observer", and have not joined the
> irc channels or used the wiki. If no one else is doing it or I don't get
> a reply to this, I'll start working on it but you have been warned, that
> it will probably require a lot of work...

I did warn you... It's meant as a starting point only. The discussion is
now open.

______________________ start of DRAFT _____________________________

Press Release DRAFT:

Who:

The Fedora Legacy Team, made out of volunteers.

What:

	The Fedora Legacy Proyect is an ongoing effort led and maintained by
	volunteers, which aims to provide security and critical bugfix errata
	for older versions of Red Hat Linux (RHL) and Fedora Core releases (FC)
	after their official End of Life, thereby allowing a longer effective
	life of those releases, closer to the lifes that most IT departments
	are used to having with the RHL versions that are currently in use.

	The proyect is still gathering volunteers and resources, as well as
	drafting the policies and security requirements, other press
	releases will be published as the proyect progresses. With current
	resources and volunteers it seems possible to start providing
	erratas since January for RHL 7.3 and RHL 8.0 when these releases
	will reach their End of Life by Red Hat Inc.

How:

	Groups of maintainers will produce the errata for their packages,
	these errata will undergo some classification and QA to be then
	released. Digital signatures will ensure the integrity of the
	process.

	Errata will only be created to fix security problems as well as
	serious bugs, no features will be introduced on the Erratas, unless
	they are required for the future management of erratas on that
	release.

Where:

	Information on the proyect is currently available from the following
	places:

	1. http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy
	2. fedora-legacy-list Mailing list, for subscriptions and archive:
	3. #fedora-legacy on irc.freenode.net

When:

	Now. Feel free to join in.

__
Fedora Legacy is an independent entity and not officially sanctioned
by Red Hat, Inc.

Carlos