RH8.0 support

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Thu Nov 6 22:18:40 UTC 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 14:10, Miskell, Craig wrote:
>         First up - thanks for this project.  It's a potential
> lifeline in the midst of an otherwise quite disruptive period.  I'm
> not sure how much I'll be able to help, but if there's ever an
> opportunity, I'll definitely try.
>
> Down to business - there's been mention on this list and in the draft
> press release about support for RH8.0.  Sometimes it seems definite,
> sometimes not.  Does anyone have any strong word on that? We're kind
> of stuck on 8.0 for a lot of our servers, based on it being
> "officially supported" by our hardware vendor (HP), and to get the
> right version of glibc etc to support certain software we're running
> ;-).  But if I can't find updates for it somewhere, then I'm going to
> have to either look at RHEL (not likely as it would be expensive -
> we've got, or will have shortly, ~50 boxes running linux) or else go
> the whole hog, ignore support issues, and use debian.  Unfortunately,
> I've only got 2 months to decide and not much longer to implement, if
> I'm going to keep my boxes reasonably secure.
>
> Any indicators of the likelihood of support for 8.0 would be great,

Initial thoughts were to _not_ support 8.0.  There was very little
interest in the community to continue using it, and to continue
supporting it.  That said, I suppose we can re-open discussions on the
merits of continued support of 8.0.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: