A request for RedHat 8.0 continued support...

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sat Nov 8 06:58:50 UTC 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Friday 07 November 2003 18:58, Edmund White wrote:
> > Either way, since these servers are humming along without incident, I
> > don't have much motivation to reinstall and move to an untested (by my
> > application's need) RHEL. Having continued support for RedHat 8 would be
> > very useful for those in my situation. I know this project is in its
> > infacy, but I think that 7.2-9.0 are must-support distributions. Please
> > advise.
>
> Our original thoughts were to include 7.3 and 9 support, since those were
> the most widely used of legacy releases, adn when initially talking over
> the Legacy system, nobody stepped up for 8.0/7.2.  I've seen more and more
> interest in these products over the last couple days, so I'm going to say
> "It depends on the amount of volunteers we get".  I know this is horribly
> vague, but hopefully it'll prompt some people to step up and state that
> they'll to the work necessary for 7.3/8.0.

FWIW,

7.2 is terribly easy to upgrade to 7.3 on systems which do have i386.
8.0 is terribly easy to upgrade to 9.

I've done both of these multiple times, remotely, not even going on site
physically.

Tell me again why anyone should bother spending time in doing the updates
for these systems?  So, the question becomes, is it worth to make RHL72
updates for non-i386 architectures' sake?

IMHO, I'd worry about getting the updates done to 7.3 and 9, and if that
succeeds, only then worrying whether there are resources for the rest.

Less is More!