Possible Mirrors (was Re: [Fedora-legacy-list] Re: Delay? Looks bad for Fedora)

Neil Bright ncb at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Nov 8 19:08:34 UTC 2003

On Nov 8, 2003, at 12:38 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Friday 07 November 2003 21:31, Edward E. Iwanski wrote:
>> Is rsync the preferred way to set up a mirror?  I'd appreciate any
>> good
>> docs or links if someone would provide.  I've never set one up before,
>> but would be willing to ask management to host as we have lots of
>> available bandwidth and have the ability to cap it off if necessary.
>
> I do believe rsync is preferred, not sure if we're going to do rsync
> over
> ssh or not.  Honestly I've never set up a mirror system either, I'll be
> looking to Red Hat for guidence on this one.

I run {ftp|www|rsync}.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu.  Our campus has a vested
interest in the success of the fedora legacy project, so I'd like to
offer space, bandwidth and some my experience running a mirror.

I obviously can't comment for RedHat, but I can answer some questions
from a redhat mirror's prospective.  First off, they use rsync.  It
does put a bit more of a CPU load on the upstream.  In my opinion, the
aggregate bandwidth and manageability savings are well worth it.
They've got a couple of rsync servers in a DNS RR setup as a
back-channel for mirrors to get the bits from.  Most of the time (when
mirrors have a few days to get the bits), this works pretty well.  :)

If there's anything I can do, please, feel free to let me know.

  Neil Bright            Computing and Networking Services,
  ncb at cc.gatech.edu      CERCS / IHPCL, College of Computing
  (404) 385-0448         Georgia Institute of Technology