A request for RedHat 8.0 continued support...

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sun Nov 9 05:49:32 UTC 2003

On Saturday 08 November 2003 11:53 pm, Chuck Wolber wrote:
> We're the converse of that. We've explicitly avoided RH8 in production
> and have been deliberately migrating all RH 7.3 installations to RH 9.

I found RH8 to be more stable than previous x.0 releases; there were other
needs that dictated moving then to 8 (a 3.x gcc was the biggest at the time).
9 introduced some things some of our software didn't play well with on the
server; I ran it on my laptop, though.  I've played the Red Hat dance since
4.1: the decision to upgrade is based on many factors, as you well know.

FC1 and the newer releases of some of our software seems to be better behaved.
FC1 seems more stable than 9 in my usage.

I still have a Red Hat 5.2 box in production due to some software.  It just
runs, and runs, and runs.  It's not directly Internet exposed, so security
issues aren't real problems for it.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology