A request for RedHat 8.0 continued support...

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sun Nov 9 21:14:50 UTC 2003

Eric Rostetter wrote:

> For 8.0, the argument is standard business practices. (Which would
> mean not supporting 7.2, BTW).  Standard practice is to support the
> last "dot release" of the last X releases.  So if X was 3, that
> would be RH 9, 8.0, and 7.3.  If X was 4, that would be RH 9, 8.0,
> 7.3, and 6.2.  And so on. In theory, if X was 2, we would do RH 9
> and 8.0, not RH 9 and 7.3...

Well, for me RHL9 is just a misnumbered 8.1 (see the numbering of it's
beta). So 7.3 and 9 make sense.

But the real question is: Who will do the work? If there are enough
volunteers, then 8.0 should be supported. If not, 8.0 *cannot* be
supported. I volunteer for helping with QA for 7.3, and I would like to
learn, so that I'm able to help with buildimg as well.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 9 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/