yum vs apt

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Thu Nov 20 19:06:41 UTC 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Paul Welsh wrote:

> Apologies if this question is beneath contempt but I'm running Fedora
> Core 1 on a single co-lo server.  It will be live shortly and I intend
> making as few changes as possible.
>
> On 15 November, Jesse Keating said "Red Hat will provide
> backports/updates for a FC release up to 2~3 months after the next FC
> release.  Fedora Legacy will pick it up and continue on through."
>
> Is yum or apt my best bet in terms of installing updates?

Your choice. Either will do the job. Just make sure that wherever you
are going to get your updates from has the type of repository you need.

There is work being done so that In the future the repos are the same but
today that is not true.

AFAIK Red Hat is only supporting yum on their sites. That may have changed and
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I think most of the repo sites
have both.

HTH,