RFD: Alternative Release Support

Mikko Paananen mikko at ipi.fi
Wed Nov 26 22:56:08 UTC 2003

Rob J. Caskey wrote:

> I think that even with the stated goals of Legacy, it is not likely to
> achieve a sufficiently long EOL for a lot of .edu and the like. Might we
> possibly discuss the virtues and drawbacks of supporting every other
> release? Doing so might help concentrate limited legacy people resources
> and eventually allow for longer EOLs. It seems to me having a
> legacy-supported release every year is still timely enough for the vast
> majority of people and might provide a better target for 3rd party
> backports of server software.

Fedora Core 1 should stay supported for some time, considering it will
be last release using now stable 2.4 kernel series and someone might
want to use Fedora as server.

According plans, Fedora Core Release 2 should have 2.6.x kernel that
_will_ be somewhat problematic at beginning (during last releases Linux
kernel proved to be stable around x.x.13 - 18.) So those who want stable
environment need to upgrade their systems least to Core Release 3 or 4.
(Maybe skip early 2.6.x kernels.) Therefore release 2 long term
maintenance is not as important as fc1 or later releases.

Same applies to other big updates as well, when there some day will be
glibc 2.4 version, last Core release using glibc 2.3.x should also be
maintained longer than usual.