[Fedora-legacy-list] A helping hand in Seattle

Jarod C.Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 7 23:53:46 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 16:03 US/Pacific, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 October 2003 15:50, Jarod C.Wilson wrote:
>> Yeah, for a software-encoding card like that "POS" as you call it
>> (very aptly named, in fact; I have a similar POS in my collection), a
>> Duron 950 won't cut it. Now with a PVR-x50 hardware encoding card, my
>> Athlon 800 does fine... I just got a pcHDTV card; very cool... MythTV
>> has been rapidly maturing. I maintain a decent little write-up on how
>> to install from scratch on RHL9, entirely from rpms now (see sig)...
>> Okay, veering back on-topic...
>
> Yeah, thats kinda what I found out.  I should sell off that POS (or
> give
> it away really).  I'd like to give it another go, there is lots of good
> stuff I'd like to record, but I still can't grasp the whole usage of a
> really obscure encoding codec that isn't easily playable outside of
> Myth or a patched up mplayer.

Get a WinTV PVR-250. The files are straight-up mpeg2. They have a .nuv
(NuppleVideo) extension, but in the case of that card (and the
PVR-350), they are actually mpeg2 files that play anywhere. There is
also automatic transcoding built in now, so you can transcode from
mpeg2 or nuv to mpeg4 files that will also play anywhere (with the
right codecs, anyhow).

> Has the author yet succumbed to the
> requests of a standard recording codec?

Not exactly. Plenty of transcode options now though, and the hardware
encoders that simply create mpeg2 files. Well, and mpeg2-ts capture
cards now also (slight difference from standard mpeg2; built-in
redundancy, multiple resolutions and audio tracks, etc)...

>> Moved out of Renton due to getting the job at Pogo, I assume (I
>> follow the RH and Mondo mailing lists too :).
>
> Geez, I'm more public than I thought.

Heh. I pieced things together from little bits and pieces here and
there... :)

> I actually moved up to Redmond
> when I got a job with Microsoft (shamefull I know).

Gotta pay the bills somehow! And Bill's bills are definitely green.

> I was unemployed
> for 3~ months after working at AT&T Fixed Wireless in Redmond for about
> 1.5 years and so I took any job I could find.

I'm sort of in that boat myself. I've been unemployed/self-employed as
an indy contractor for almost 6 months now.

> Landed a trained monkey
> job at Microsoft just before my wedding, so I wasn't a total bum.  I
> worked there for about 6 months before I got the job with Pogo.

A welcome change, I'm sure...

> It
> just worked out very well that Pogo moved to within 3 blocks of my
> apartment complex in Redmond shortly after I started working there
> (pre-planned, nothing to do with me)

Okay, I didn't piece together quite that much. ;p Sheesh, I'd love to
work only 3 blocks from work (well, I work from home most of the time
right now, but clients are all over the place).

>> That'd be a problem, if the meeting was tonight. Myrio basically
>> locks the doors after 7pm, so you have to be on time, or you can't
>> get in... If it is a problem, I could probably provide
>> transportation. Redmond isn't exactly on the way from Maple Valley,
>> but not too far out of the way (depending on where, exactly...).
>
> Whooops, my bad. I have the calender applet on my gnome bar, just got
> too lazy to check.  I'll make better transport arrangements for next
> week.

If its ever a problem, the offer still stands.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...