[Fedora-legacy-list] A helping hand in Seattle

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Wed Oct 8 00:28:49 UTC 2003

> Veering WAY off-topic: The $40 one is the one Jesse is referring to as a
> POS. I have to agree with him on that account, since I have two far
> superior cards (for MythTV, anyhow), the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 and the
> pcHDTV HD-2000. The PVR-250 is <$150, and has a hardware mpeg2 encoder
> chip (even better, the 350 has hardware mpeg2 codec and radio, both 250
> and 350 come w/remotes & receivers), which takes a bunch of CPU load off
> the box. The pcHDTV card simply moves mpeg2 transport streams off the
> air and onto your hard drive for HDTV signals, and operates similar to
> the WinTV Go/Theater/non-PVR cards for analog stations.

Nearly veering the topic into the ground... I was under the (probably
mistaken) impression that the kernel had to know about your mpeg hardware
to actually make use of it. Will bttv or v4l handle it somehow?

(pulling the topic out of the nosedive)

Since we're fedora legacy and we're going to support 7.3, do we have to
remove the MP3 stuff? I know the answer is no, it's just a troll to
possibly elicit discussion about adding the MP3 stuff back into 9.

> Are you familiar with MythTV at all?

Yeah, very much so. I evaluated it for our book (Linux Toys, coming out in
the next week or so. Search for it on Amazon. We could really use some
good reviews). At the time MythTV sucked pretty badly. I decided to use
webvcr+ and ended up taking over the project.

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com

A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.