[Fedora-legacy-list] Force rpm upgrade?

Jarod C.Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 31 09:44:47 UTC 2003

On Oct 31, 2003, at 12:24 AM, Warren Togami wrote:

> We discussed this earlier during the package naming thread on
> fedora-devel-list, but we should come to an agreement on this now
> since this is one of the many questions we need to decide upon.
>
> Should we force all Fedora Legacy users to upgrade to the latest
> version of RPM for their distribution?
>
> RH7.3 -> rpm-4.0.5
> RH8   -> rpm-4.1.1
> RH9   -> rpm-4.2.1
>
> Why?
> 1) Long term supportability.  RH8's rpm-4.1 is completely broken and
> unsupportable.
> 2) Allows us to use a common package naming scheme with all
> distributions from RH7.3 through FC.

I'd advocate forcing all of them to 4.1.1 or later, otherwise I believe
you have inconsistent rpm-newer sorting. However, doing so would create
additional problems for 7.3, since there are a few packages that
(somewhat stupidly) rely on librpm4.0.x, IIRC. Not to mention that
you'd have to build 4.1.1 for 7.3 and get people to actually install
it... But then it wouldn't be all that unreasonable to expect people to
upgrade to a FL-mandated rpm version to use FL packages.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com