Legacy going to move...?

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 2 20:26:19 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 12:00:30PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
>On Friday 02 April 2004 12:00, Jim Richardson wrote:
>> What's "web developement?" exactly?
>
>Making web pages, making images, uploading docs, etc...

I can assist with that. Who do I talk to? Eric?

>> I might be able to scare up some space, how much is needed for a
>> mirror? Bandwidth is more of an issue frankly. One server I have is
>> pretty underutilised b/w wise, and I can push it as support for the
>> FL systems we have :)
>
>Bandwidth needs are pretty intense.  Consider that at least somebody
>once a week is going to get the bright idea to pull down the entire
>tree, some 5~ GB worth of data.  Invariably, this person will be on
>broadband, and thus will use every ounce of your available upstream to
>pull it down ):  You can throttle and such, but still people will want
>to download.  Most mirrors you find out there are University like folks
>that have bandwidth to spare.

That could be a problem, I mean, we have ~1TB/Mo available, but we are
using in excess of half that now. I don't think I could convince the
powers that be to pay for extra b/w for this :) sad to say.

Anyone use mod_throttle ? Would that work for this?

>> Do you have someone to coordinate volunteer efforts? or is this
>> fairly ad-hoc? (speaking of which, I haven't been to the website for
>> FL in a while...hang on) Looks like there's a decent page for help
>> stuff.
>
>We don't have any coordinated efforts just yet.  Most things come
>through me.  Eric Rostetter is currently in charge of the website, we
>both work on it together.  (Well he works on it, I say "wow, that looks
>great!").

It is a nicely done site, and deals well with me pumping up the font
size due to the 1600x1200 screen on this laptop.

"We have to go forth and crush every world view that doesn't believe in
tolerance and free speech," - David Brin