RHL 9 and VMWare?

Mike Jones mikej at primatech.com
Thu Apr 8 13:18:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 08:28, John Dalbec wrote:
> I installed Red Hat Linux 9 from DVD onto a VMWare 3.2.1 machine in order to be
> able to build Red Hat Linux 9 packages when Red Hat drops support at the end of
> the month.  I keep getting disk errors when depmod runs.  Windows (host OS)
> doesn't show any disk errors so I assume it's a bad interaction between the
> Linux kernel and VMWare.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Any fixes?

VMWare 3.2.1 is pretty old, I would guess you are getting
incompatibilities between the newer kernel and the older "hardware".
The latest VMWare is now 4.5.1.  I have recently run Fedora Core 1 on it
and it works just fine for me.  If you just want to see if the VMWare
version is the problem I think they offer 30 day demo keys.  That should
be enough time to test everything out.  The upgrade is $99 through their
website.

Thanks,
mike