Red Hat 8 (and soon 9) support

Randall J. Parr RParr at TemporalArts.COM
Mon Apr 12 17:03:59 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote:

>>Red Hat 8.0 support in Fedora Legacy seems pathetic.  We had a functioning
>>apt-get for RH 8, I tested it (and am still using it) and it seems to work.
>>It was put on hold for "upcoming changes upstream" and that's the last I
>>heard of it.  Why couldn't we release it as it was (assuming it was working,
>>which it appears to be) and then release another version when the upstream
>>changes came in (can't apt-get update itself)?
>>

>8.0 support sucks b/c from what I can tell there are about 5 people on
>the planet using 8.0. It was not a widely installed release b/c a lot of
>people were waiting for an 8.1 at that point and then when 9 came out
>they jumped to that, instead.

I have several clients with RH8 systems in production. RH9 has been
suggested but they are not interested in upgrading from EOL RH8 to
soon-to-be EOL RH9.

Would it be simplify ongoing RH8 support by requiring an upgrade to the
newer RPM (thus eliminating the RPM vs yum/apt version problem)?

We upgraded to rpm-4.1.1, yum 2.03, et.al. quite a while ago to get
around the rpm lockup problems.

R.Parr, RHCE
Temporal Arts