RH8

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Apr 15 05:32:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Randall J. Parr wrote:

> Eucke Warren wrote:
>
> > Any suggestions on other walk throughs that anyone else may have done
> > on getting the basic yum, apt, python, popt rpms installed
> > successfully would be greatly appreciated.  I am desperately trying to
> > learn and I am missing a few keys it would appear.
> >

> The only real advantage of installing the yum/apt provided by FL (or
> other repository for that matter)
> is that it, generally, automagically configures the yum/apt/rpm to find
> and accept rpms from that repository.
>
> You can easily get to the same place by installing the yum/apt from some
> other repository, extending the yum/apt config, and installing the
> appropriate rpms keys.
>
> I would suggest installing the freshrpms.net yum/apt for RH8 (per
> instructions on that site).

That will work, yes, but it wont check GPG signatures. The FL apt has
other enhancements not present in any other apt (except fedora.us) so I
would recommend using the FL one instead of a "random" package found off
the net. Problem of course is FL hasn't published any official apt for RHL
8 ..

[snip]
> I tend to use yum to update kernels and other wise use apt
> (which does not update kernels with most default settings)

FL apt does btw update kernels as well (yet another reason to use it
over others :)

	- Panu -