redhat 7.3 and fedora legacy kernel fix question

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Thu Apr 15 13:50:18 UTC 2004

marius popa wrote:

[...]

>> A couple resources on usenet :
>> comp.os.linux.redhat (redhat questions)
>> and iptables questions at -> comp.os.linux.security
>>
> If even after upgrade doesn't work then as last option
> try to install the kernel 2.4.25 and iptables 1.2.8 from source code

I got it working finally. I upgraded to the latest binary legacy kernel:

    kernel-2.4.20-30.7.legacy

Then I rebooted just to make sure it works. Next I installed the legacy
source kernel package:

    kernel-source-2.4.20-30.7.legacy

And I manually patched the legacy source kernel with this patch for the
2.4.24 kernel from the ebtables website:

    ebtables-brnf-5_vs_2.4.24.diff

It applied with a few failed chunks in net/Makefile, but upon examining
the Makefile.rej file I was able to determine that the rejected chunks were
inconsequential.

I then configured my kernel with the stock redhat 7.3 i686 config file and
followed the directions on the ebtables website to enable ebtables and the
bridge-nf code. Finally, I recompiled my kernel using the instructions
provided in the Redhat 7.3 Customization manual and rebooted. Upon reboot
iptables could magically see bridge traffic.

It's too bad the redhat folks decided to take this functionality out of
the stock 7.3 kernel after 2.4.18-x. It took me longer to figure out what the
problem was than it took to patch and recompile a new kernel...

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,