OpenSSH

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Tue Aug 3 23:01:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 05:42:51PM -0500, Jay Summers wrote:
> Ditto there. I just sent a message today to one of my other user-lists

You mean with sshd hanging, or just all the scans? (I've seen the latter
but not the former.)

It's crackers looking for people who are dumb enough to create an
account named "test" with password "test" (or "guest"/"guest") and leave
it accessible to anyone on the 'Net. Once they get in, they use kernel
exploits to get root (if you have users/admins this dumb, *this* is why you
need to keep the kernel up to date!) and then they install a rootkit...

These people, whoever they are, are succeding in breaking into more
systems than you'd expect... :|

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>