2.6.x SMP and IPv4

Bas Vermeulen bvermeul at blackstar.nl
Sat Aug 7 07:52:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 07:15, Maurice wrote:
> That worked...
>
> I did get an IPv6 when I allowed that to function, but since I don't
> have any other IPv6 machines on my home network I was never able to
> really test if IPv6 functioned correctly.
>
> But the noapic at boot time did the trick!
> Now my 2.6.xSMP kernel allows IPv4 traffic.
> Thank you very much.
> You get a gold-star.
>
> So what else can you tell me about my NIC (netgear FA311) and 2.6.xSMP
> and IPv4 not working, but IPv4 working in a non-SMP kernel?

Nothing really. When it works with noapic basically means your SMP
mainboard has a faulty IO-APIC, which is used by linux to set up IRQ in
an alternative way. If it's not configured correctly (mostly because of
a faulty bios) linux can't get it's IRQs correct without the noapic
option (where it will bypass the io-apic, and use the normal interrupt
controller).

My guess is IPv6 didn't work either, as your ethernet didn't work at
all.

Regards,

Bas Vermeulen