Unofficial RH-Distribution-FAQ -- WAS: Lurker Suggestion

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Aug 22 16:18:12 UTC 2004

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Especially if and when "Legacy" decides to stop supporting CL3.1 in
> favor of only CL3.2 in the CL3/EL3 series.  In fact, the whole
> designation is a "good guide" on how to CL/EL will be supported (which
> I'm detailing now in another section).
> If it helps Red Hat and the Fedora team explain why Legacy is still
> releasing updates for Fedore Core 4 (CL4.2) and Fedora Core 1 (CL3.2),
> but not Fedora Core 2 (CL4.1) or Fedora Core 3 (CL4.0), the "technical
> designation" might be adopted.  But that's just being hopeful.

Okay, I've now renamed Section 4 "Distribution Updates," and inserted
the following Subsections ...

Section 4.1, "The Old Update Model":
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/RH-Distribution-FAQ-4.html#ss4.1

Section 4.2, "The New Update Model":
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/RH-Distribution-FAQ-4.html#ss4.2

The previous Section 4 layout on "The Technopolitical History" has now
been pushed back as Subsection 4.3 for "further discussion":
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/RH-Distribution-FAQ-4.html#ss4.3

Please, comments, corrections, etc... _always_ welcome!  I also want to
make sure I'm not "crossing the line" where Red Hat takes some legal
issues with it.  It's really for their own benefit (I'm a big believer
in the split Fedora - Red Hat Enterprise Linux model).

--
Compatibility matrix of Red Hat(R) distributions of Linux(R):
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/RH-Distribution-FAQ-3.html
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith at ieee.org