Iplementing a firewall after-the-fact

Ted Kaczmarek tedkaz at optonline.net
Sun Dec 5 23:48:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 10:21 +0100, Troels Arvin wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:55:44 -0800, Howard B Owen wrote:

> > packet filter can often let you know when someone port scans your
> > system.
>
> True. And there was a time when I would closely monitor for suspicious
> probes, but I've abandoned that "hobby": What security do I gain from
> knowing that someone is trying to do something which is basically not
> dangarous (like trying to access a port on which nothing listens)?
>
> > Secondly, in the case where a service must listen on a port, but
> > wants to restrict access by source IP, a packet filter can protect you
> > from attacks against the server launched from the banned networks.
>
> That's true: If the application itself doesn't offer a way to restrict by
> IP or network, then packet filtering is a handy alternative (which I also
> use in some cases). Also, some software doesn't allow you to specify which
> interfaces to listen to, and in that case, iptables is also nice.
>
> > Of course, firewalls
> > themselves can get pretty complicated, too.
>
> Exactly. And the netfilter software _is_ still software, meaning that it
> can contain bugs - bugs that will even run in kernel space. There haven't
> been any seriously ugly security bugs in the netfilter code yet, but the
> code _could_ contain security problems in itself. That's another reason
> why I strive to obtain installations which don't need packet filtering.
>
> > Another thing you can try is a cron or at
> > job that runs 'service iptables stop' at a designated interval after you
> > implement your rules.
>
> Yes, that's a handy trick. Thanks to you and Alexander for pointing that
> out.
Create the logging rules first you can probably verify almost everything
but connection tracking with just the logging rules. I have been using
that cron trick forever, but don't forget to remove it :-)
I usually add two, one stops it every 3-5 minutes and another every 30
minutes. Cron mail is most helpful in these types of situations as
well.

Ted