Separating the roles of the QA process

Marc Deslauriers marcdeslauriers at videotron.ca
Fri Dec 17 05:26:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 09:01 +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
>   2) The PUBLISH QA is only obligated to check that the modifications
> seem OK -- the sources have not been tampered with, the patches come
> from some reliable source or are otherwise OK, the spec file changes
> are minor, etc.

I agree with this...the binaries provided by the packagers don't reflect
the binaries that mach will produce when the packages get pushed to
updates-testing, so I don't see the point in looking at them...

>   3) the VERIFY QA is obligated to:
>     - check the GPG signature and checksum of the packages
>     - install it, run it, test if it works.
>     - running rpm-build-compare.sh on the binaries to see if there have
> been any significant changes (e.g., to the libraries used)

rpm-build-compare.sh is usually run after building in mach and before
posting to updates-testing. I don't think this should be mandatory for
people to give a VERIFY as it will require more work than they will
probably be willing to do. That said, if anyone actually does it, it's
definitely a plus...

> Justification:  currently PUBLISH QA is not being done especially for
> obscure packages that no one is really using, because it's difficult
> to rebuild and install and test them.  We need to make this available
> to *anyone*, even to those who don't run the Red Hat version in
> question.

I agree.

> This makes updates-testing a bit more literally "testing", but IMHO
> that's not a problem.

Agreed.

Marc.