Fedora Legacy and Fedora's cvs

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sat Dec 18 05:27:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Rob Myers wrote:
>> The biggest issue here is probably how much effort we'd be willing to
>> put doing QA and handling the breakage that this approach would imply.
>
> again, it is not clear to me that a "merged" FC-1 tree implies more than
> minimal updates.

In the particular example you quoted, it did certainly mean more than
minimal updates.

Minimal updates:
  - the FC1 src.rpm, or if FC1 published a security update, that
src.rpm
  - *any* further change to the package, unless it would be covered by
the security update is a non-minimal update.

In this particular case, zlib was upgraded from 1.2.0.7 to 1.2.1.2.
The change log for comparison for this is below *). This update
removed the need to apply the security patch, and removed an
additional patch as well.

For example, Red Hat folks might, for some reason, update packages
in all of their archs (FC1..FC3) even though FC1 is no longer being
updated -- which would be a clear non-minimal update.  Bugfixes might
also be put in all the releases at the same time.

We can debate whether these non-minimal updates are significant enough
to worry about, and we can debate whether we need to care (in QA
sense) -- at least in the same manner as with RHL9/RHL73 as Fedora
Core users are more likely intentional "guinea pigs" in any case -- if
Red Hat's changes break the users' systems in some way.

*)
Changes in 1.2.1.2 (9 September 2004)
- Update INDEX file
- Fix trees.c to update strm->data_type (no one ever noticed!)
- Fix bug in error case in inflate.c, infback.c, and infback9.c [Brown]
- Add "volatile" to crc table flag declaration (for DYNAMIC_CRC_TABLE)
- Add limited multitasking protection to DYNAMIC_CRC_TABLE
- Add NO_vsnprintf for VMS in zutil.h [Mozilla]
- Don't declare strerror() under VMS [Mozilla]
- Add comment to DYNAMIC_CRC_TABLE to use get_crc_table() to initialize
- Update contrib/ada [Anisimkov]
- Update contrib/minizip [Vollant]
- Fix configure to not hardcode directories for Darwin [Peterson]
- Fix gzio.c to not return error on empty files [Brown]
- Fix indentation; update version in contrib/delphi/ZLib.pas and
   contrib/pascal/zlibpas.pas [Truta]
- Update mkasm.bat in contrib/masmx86 [Truta]
- Update contrib/untgz [Truta]
- Add projects/README.projects [Truta]
- Add project for MS Visual C++ 6.0 in projects/visualc6 [Cadieux, Truta]
- Update win32/DLL_FAQ.txt [Truta]
- Update list of Z_PREFIX symbols in zconf.h [Randers-Pehrson, Truta]
- Remove an unnecessary assignment to curr in inftrees.c [Truta]
- Add OS/2 to exe builds in configure [Poltorak]
- Remove err dummy parameter in zlib.h [Kientzle]

Changes in 1.2.1.1 (9 January 2004)
- Update email address in README
- Several FAQ updates
- Fix a big fat bug in inftrees.c that prevented decoding valid
   dynamic blocks with only literals and no distance codes --
   Thanks to "Hot Emu" for the bug report and sample file
- Add a note to puff.c on no distance codes case.

Changes in 1.2.1 (17 November 2003)
- Remove a tab in contrib/gzappend/gzappend.c
- Update some interfaces in contrib for new zlib functions
- Update zlib version number in some contrib entries
- Add Windows CE definition for ptrdiff_t in zutil.h [Mai, Truta]
- Support shared libraries on Hurd and KFreeBSD [Brown]
- Fix error in NO_DIVIDE option of adler32.c

Changes in 1.2.0.8 (4 November 2003)
- Update version in contrib/delphi/ZLib.pas and contrib/pascal/zlibpas.pas
- Add experimental NO_DIVIDE #define in adler32.c
     - Possibly faster on some processors (let me know if it is)
- Correct Z_BLOCK to not return on first inflate call if no wrap
- Fix strm->data_type on inflate() return to correctly indicate EOB
- Add deflatePrime() function for appending in the middle of a byte
- Add contrib/gzappend for an example of appending to a stream
- Update win32/DLL_FAQ.txt [Truta]
- Delete Turbo C comment in README [Truta]
- Improve some indentation in zconf.h [Truta]
- Fix infinite loop on bad input in configure script [Church]
- Fix gzeof() for concatenated gzip files [Johnson]
- Add example to contrib/visual-basic.txt [Michael B.]
- Add -p to mkdir's in Makefile.in [vda]
- Fix configure to properly detect presence or lack of printf functions
- Add AS400 support [Monnerat]
- Add a little Cygwin support [Wilson]