web site ammendments for yum

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 3 23:30:16 UTC 2004

Quoting Raphael Clifford <raphael at clifford.net>:

> http://www.fedoralegacy.org/download/ doesn't appear to contain clear
> instructions for how to use yum with fedora-legacy.  I was thinking the

It now simply points you to the documentation page for info on using
yum and apt.

> a) A link to the current recommend versions of yum for each redhat release.

Still now sure about this.  I think the docs will be enough, since they
tell you how to install it, etc.  But comments/suggestions/patches will
be gladly accepted on this issue.

> There is also a howto for yum and redhat 7.x at
> http://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/yum-rh7x.php that really ought to be
> linked to.

It was indirectly.  I've made a apt-rh8.php page also now, even though
the FL apt doesn't actually exist yet...

> b) The sentence "After installing apt or yum, please see the mirror list
> <http://www.fedoralegacy.org/download/mirrors.php> and choose the
> closest and fastest mirror for your location." has a link to a page that
> does not mention yum at all. It is not clear to a non-expert what to do
> in this situation.

Yum is now mentioned there.

> I wonder if there is some overlap between pages that is causing the
> confusion. All the info needed to get a package management app working
> ought to be on one page IMHO.

I've merged the apt/yum command summaries into their documentation files
and removed them from the downloads page.  The download page now just
tells you to see to documentation pages for help.

> Cheers,
> Raphael

Thanks for your suggestions!

--